Monday, December 22, 2008

More Christmas Symbols

Well, I hope you have enjoyed the Christmas posts up to this point. I hope the messages have been a little helpful in keeping the focus on the true celebration of the gift of Jesus Christ and off of the materialism so prevalent in our society. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE shopping for Christmas and looking for just that special gift that will really mean a lot to the recipient, but I always want to leave everyone with the thought of what the most important gift at Christmas time should be. Since I am running out of days before Christmas and I like to leave a post up for a few days, I am going to combine the last two messages of more than one Christmas symbol.

First I want to look at holly. The holly, with it's prickly thorns and bright red berries can serve as a vivid reminder of the crown of thorns our Saviour wore, with the red berries representing the drops of blood shed for our salvation. And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! Matt 27:29 KJV But let the holly also remind us of the promise we find in 2 Tim 4:88 In heaven a crown is waiting for me, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And not just to me but to all those whose lives show that they are eagerly looking forward to his coming back again. TLB


Our other Christmas symbol I want to examine is the wreath. The Christmas wreath being made of evergreen boughs, should cause us to think of eternal life. We have been promised everlasting life as ours through Jesus Christ. As I stated in my Christmas tree post, the evergreen tree and branches have been used since ancient times to symbolize victory over death. We can use that same symbolism for us to represent everlasting life and victory over death, through Christ Jesus. John 6:46-47 47 says I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.(NIV) and finally let's claim victory "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
1 Cor 15:54 (NIV)

So as we are in the last days before Christmas let us look for things that continue to remind us of the purpose of the season and be thankful for the greatest gift of all, Jesus our Savior.

1 comment: