Sunday, March 27, 2011

How Heavy Is The Glass?



The other day I received an email about a glass of water. When I saw the topic I was thinking “Oh another story about is it half empty or half full.” To my surprise that is not what the question was, but instead, “How heavy is the glass?”


The email went on to explain that it didn’t matter if the actual weight was 8oz or 20 oz. or somewhere in between but instead, it matters how long you hold it up. A glass of water doesn’t seem that heavy if you only hold it a few minutes, but it becomes unbearable if you have to hold the filled glass for hours, or even a day. The email related that to us holding on to stress. The longer we hold it the “heavier” it becomes. The lady speaking in the email suggested you put your burdens down and pick them back up after a rest, however, I think we would be better off to lay them down and leave them.



After reading the email I started thinking about how we hold onto our burdens and of all the scriptures that tell us to “Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you;” Ps 55:22 (AMP) I thought how often I want to carry my own burdens, or I lay them down at His feet only to pick them back up again. The burden, stress or sin might not originally be that big of a deal, but if we continually worry and dwell on it, then eventually it becomes too heavy to bear and therefore much more of a burden. In 1 Peter 5:7 we are told “Cast all your cares upon him; for he careth for you.” KJV



Why is it we are so arrogant to think we can handle our problems more than Christ can? I know I am guilty of that. He promises “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30 (NIV) Why would anyone choose not to lighten their load? The previous verse in Matthew 11:28 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (NIV) Doesn’t gentle, humble rest sound better than stumbling under the weight of your burdens? So the next time you hear the age old question “Is the glass half full or half empty?” Counter that question with the better question “How heavy is the glass?” Re-examine your life and determine if you are carrying your burdens alone or if you have humbly and honestly laid them down, never to pick them up again.




Linda

3 comments:

Tina said...

Great word. Thanks for sharing. I am putting my glass down right now!!

Cheryl said...

Wow! That is so true! I think we are all guilty of thinking we can just take care of our problems ourselves! I think we think our problems are not significant enough for the Lord to bother with, but He wants us to come to Him with all our problems no matter what they are! This is a great example to share with someone experiencing lots of stress! Loved it! Thanks!

Unknown said...

J know from your blog that you are really busy right now but I just wanted you to know that I am missing my April photo! and the month is half over. Guess I will just keep on enjoying the lovey March flower. I just wanted you to know that someone in cyberworld loves your photos!