Saturday, March 6, 2010

What’s Your Destiny?

clip_image002
          Please click on cartoon to enlarge for easier reading.

This cartoon came out in the Sunday paper a couple of months ago and even though the artist probably meant something totally different, it just struck a chord with me about our Godly purpose or destiny. I sincerely believe we all have a purpose, a destiny designed by God, even before we were born.
In Ps 139:13-16 we read "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
The root word for ordained is nathan (naw-than'); a primitive root used with greatest latitude of application: apply, appoint, ascribe, assign, charge, commit, ordain, perform.
Positive proof we were designed for a purpose. In Jer 1:4-5 The Lord said to me, "I knew you before you were formed within your mother's womb; before you were born I sanctified you and appointed you as my spokesman to the world."
TLB. The root word for sanctified is, qadash (kaw-dash'); a primitive root; to appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify. So my friend we have all been sanctified, chosen and dedicated for a specific purpose in God’s master design. Just as the cartoon suggests we need to live our life to the fullest and be the best at our destined purpose.

In the story of Esther, she had no reason to ever believe she would become queen to King Xerxes and therefore save her people. Yet, God knew and preordained her purpose. She was of Jewish descent and the Jews had been driven from the land. As the story unfolds, the threat to annihilate the Jewish race becomes a reality. Esther fasts and prays before approaching the King with her request. Everything she did went against customs, but God was with her. The text tells us “Esther was born for such a time as this.” Through her predestined purpose she was able to save her race.

At one really low point in my teaching career, I had really decided to call it quits. (Notice the “I” in the sentence.) I had made my deal with God and had already written up my letter of resignation. To make a long story short, the exact day I was to resign, nothing short of a miracle happened. Later that night after I got home from school, I was discussing the situation with God. He so vividly placed on my heart that I was “right where He wanted me to be.” I knew in that moment that my destiny was to be a teacher. That really changed my perspective about teaching. From that point on. I really took teaching as my mission and that even though I would probably never know all the whys and whatnots of God’s plan, I was doing just what I was called to do.
We are chosen for our paths. John 15:16-17 tells us “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go . . .”( NIV) The Bible dictionary lists the root word for chosen as eklegomai (ek-leg'-om-ahee) to select, make choice, choose, chosen.
So live up to your destiny. Go forth as a chosen one to do God’s bidding. Be the best “sea turtle” you can be. After all He has plans for you. “Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” Proverbs 16:3

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good, Linda! I'm proud of my little "Sea Turtle"! Love, Mom

Tina said...

This is a good message...and a great post!

You did SUCH a GOOD thing when you listened to Him instead of yourself!!

I love being abstinence director but I heard the Lord telling me resign and only volunteer…and do abstinence speaking occasionally.
I called the director and told her that I needed to talk to her and she said GREAT she needed to talk to me. When I went in that afternoon she told me that not only did she want me to do the abstinence thing but there was another I would be perfect for. Seeing & hearing her excitement and encouragement I could not wait to be more involved! Then when she said…what did you want to talk about???…I said “nothing – I am great!” Even then I felt the Lord telling me TELL HER NO!! That was my left turn at Albuquerque. Everything went downhill from that moment on. As I look back it really was the Lord telling me to slow down and focus on my marriage. Prayer and listening…and following really works! He knows what is best for us – doesn’t He??

Linda said...

Yes, His will is always best, but it's so hard to see the big picture when we are so focused on the now. The other day I heard someone say it was like embroidery. We only see the tangle of threads and the stitches. God sees the completed piece.

Anonymous said...

I needed to read this one! Sometimes we are focused on what we want to do too much instead of letting the Lord lead us to where He wants us to be! I need to remember this one and tell my girls too! As we struggle with their chosen art fields,and worry about how will they make a living? Because as parents if we struggle with this ourselves, we may end up forcing our kids to not go on God's ordained path, because we can not see the big picture like He can! Thank you for the Blessings this blog gives me each time I read it!! You are a great writer! Just as you were a great teacher! Glad God made me drag you to WT! Love ya, Cheryl

Linda said...

Thanks Cheryl. I pray each time I write for this blog that the post will be a blessing to all that read it. I'm glad to know my prayers are answered. I too am glad you drug me to W.T. I love you.