Friday, November 7, 2008

F.E.A.R.


Fear, that's what I have been feeling since Barak O'Bama was chosen as president elect. I've been trying to self analyze why. I remembered a lesson sometime back on fear and the speaker gave us an acronym. F(false) E(evidence) A(appearing) R(real). So with that in mind, I started studying on fear, strength and hope. If fear is false evidence, then why be fearful? I immediately thought of the verse in Deut 31:66 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (NIV) So again, I ask, "Why be afraid?" Our God is bigger than the president, the democratic controlled senate and house, the economic crisis. He has promised not to leave us and He never will. More evidence that we are not to be fearful is in Isa 41:10 Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice. (AMP )
Now that's a promise we can stand firm on. If there is nothing to fear, then maybe we should ask for strength. God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, Ps 46:1-2a (NAS) Even if the future is uncertain seek your strength from God. The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; Lam 3:25 (NIV) And finally we can look at the story of Joseph after he was sold by his brothers into slavery. Many years later Joseph was in a position to provide for his brothers and their families. His brothers were worried Joseph might retaliate but we read in Gen 50:19-21 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." (NIV) When others intend to harm us, God can use their intentions for His good will. If you are still having doubts and fear take action today. First, pray for those in authority. As hard as that might be, we are commanded to do so. Rom 13:1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. (NIV) Secondly, search your own heart for unrepentant sin. Therefore this is what the LORD says:"If you repent, I will restore you. Jer 15:19a (NIV) Thirdly, trust in God's plan For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jer 29:11 (NKJV) Until next time rest in His grace and trust in His plan.


No comments: