Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our Hope Is In The Lord


As we are entering the last days before the presidential election, my heart is burdened for America. There are several references in the Bible where God called his people stiffnecked . . .

For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people. Ex. 33:5 I feel like Americans have also become stiffnecked. In Matthew Henry's Commentary he says "God would have brought them under the yoke of his law, and into the bond of his covenant, but their necks were too stiff to bow to them. God would have cured them of their corrupt and crooked dispositions, and have set them straight; but they were wilful and obstinate, and hated to be reformed, and would not have God to reign over them." Sound familiar? We forget too easily the lessons of the past. Right after the September 11th attacks, we turned back to God. Attendance in churches rose, people were more free to pray in public or thank God. Even though it was a terrible time in our history, we put our hope in the Lord. It didn't last. We all fell back to our stiffnecked ways. The Israelites were stubborn and refused to repent and follow the ways of God, I see similarities in America. Lately, we have had the economic crisis. Whose fault is it really? I know many people that have been spending like there's no tomorrow. Kevin and I have often mused "How are they paying for that stuff?" Well, now we know, they weren't. I know we receive at least 2 to 3 credit card applications daily in the mail. Thankfully the shredder is right next to the mailbox and that is where they go, but it would be tempting to use them if we were in a financial situation ourselves. And finally the election of our next president. I have said for a long time this was going to be a heated election, both sides are very passionate. Everything is in such a mess and everyone is seeking answers. If I really start dwelling on the "What if's" I begin to panic. My only solace is to dive into The Word and wait on the Lord. We can be assured that God is in control. His plan will be fulfilled. I do ask you to pray for our nation and our next president. Pray that God's will be done. Remember our hope is in the Lord. We read in Lam. 3:21-23 Yet there is one ray of hope: his compassion never ends. It is only the Lord's mercies that have kept us from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his loving-kindness begins afresh each day. (The Living Bible)

3 comments:

Tina said...

Good Word!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this. Very encouraging word. I am so glad that God is in control. We just need to draw close and trust him--all the time.

mary circosta said...

This is good reading, my Pastor spoke on Sunday about this being the last days, and like you I am so glad that I have Jesus in my life and am under His control but we really do need to pray for the people in the world who don't know Him yet, We do need to keep reading His Word and keep our eyes on Him, God Bless you and your family.